As Heidi Heitkamp deals with fierce backlash for outing victims of sexual assault without their consent in a political attack ad, she has promised her victims a personal apology and a retraction.
Is that what this is?
Buried at the bottom of a page in the Minot Daily News– with no indication of who paid for it- appeared this small note from Senator Heitkamp, which only quoted her campaign’s initial statement word for word:
REMINDER: Heitkamp’s first newspaper attack ad that outed these victims covered a full page ad and ran in every major newspaper across the state. Worse yet, Heitkamp still used this opportunity to criticize Kevin Cramer, proving once again that Heitkamp exploits whoever she can, whenever she can, for political gain.
And as for apologizing, Heidi Heitkamp and her campaign returned to politics as usual yesterday, continuing their smear campaign against her opponent. Meanwhile some victims outed by Heitkamp still had not heard from her.
As Kayleigh McEnany said on Fox News last night, “Heidi Heitkamp needs to pick up the phone right now and call that young girl and apologize for getting her name in the national headlines.”
Liberal to the core, Heidi Heitkamp began her career as Jimmy Carter’s EPA attorney and has put special interests ahead of North Dakota’s energy industries ever since:
- During the Obama administration, Heitkamp took a series of liberal votes that were out-of-step with North Dakota’s energy industry:
- Heitkamp supported a harmful BLM environmental regulation limiting methane release on oil and gas operators.
- Heitkamp voted twice for higher taxes on the oil industry.
- Heitkamp supported Obama’s dangerous Iran Nuclear Deal, which opened world markets to Iranian oil, hurting North Dakota energy producers.
- During the Trump administration, Heitkamp voted against the tax cuts that opened up ANWR for drilling.
- Heitkamp also voted against President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee Justice Kavanaugh, whose previous rulings showed he aligned with North Dakota’s energy interests.
In opposing Justice Kavanaugh, Heidi Heitkamp made the cowardly decision to cave to Chuck Schumer and vote against North Dakota.
From the beginning, Heidi Heitkamp dutifully followed Chuck Schumer’s orders to “stay netural” as long as she could so Democrats could try to derail this nomination.
Heidi Heitkamp then opposed Justice Kavanaugh so national Democrats would help her try to save her failing campaign.
After Heitkamp opposed Justice Kavanaugh, she’s received pushback that is likely too much to overcome:
- The nation’s largest pro-life group blasted Heitkamp’s anti-life decision and announced they would mobilize in North Dakota against her.
- The NRA said Heitkamp “put partisan politics above the rights of law-abiding North Dakota gun owners” and endorsed Cramer.
- North Dakota voters overwhelmingly supported the Kavanaugh nomination and said it is their number one issue.
Heidi Heitkamp claims she’s fighting for farmers, but her actions prolong these trade disputes and hurt the agriculture community in the process.
Despite Heitkamp’s fearmongering, great progress has been made for securing better trade deals:
- USA Today: Canada agrees to join U.S. and Mexico in new trade deal to replace NAFTA
- NPR: Trump Announces Trade Deal With European Commission That Will Lower U.S.-Europe Tension
- BBC: US moves to negotiate trade deals with Japan, UK, EU
- Politico: How Trump’s trade war is driving China nuts
Unlike Heidi Heitkamp, Kevin Cramer sides with North Dakota on trade:
- Kevin Cramer penned an op-ed expressing not only his concern for North Dakota’s agricultural community, but also his support for the President’s overall efforts and his work to end this dispute. These are the views shared by North Dakota’s agriculture community. For example:
REMINDER: Heitkamp makes these attacks because a pillar of Heitkamp’s campaign strategy is fanning the flames of farmer’s fears.
While both Kevin Cramer and Heidi Heitkamp want to protect coverage for pre-existing conditions, Heitkamp-backed Obamacare is wrong for North Dakota, and it hurts our small businesses and farmers.
Over the last ten years Heidi Heitkamp has taken more positions on Obamacare than anyone can count:
- As a liberal activist, Heitkamp aggressively pushed for Obamacare to pass, but as a 2012 Senate candidate, Heitkamp instantly became critical of the law.
- When Politico detailed this flip-flop, Heitkamp could not refute it.
- Throughout her time in the Senate, Heitkamp has staunchly defended Obamacare.
- Heitkamp voted 8 times against repealing Obamacare (March 2013 [three times], May 2015, July 2015, December 2015, and July 2017 [twice])
- Heitkamp voted twice in support of the individual mandate, voted against repealing Obamacare tax, and voted in favor of the medical device tax after she took donations from the medical supplies industry.
Heitkamp’s health care law is out-of-touch with what’s best for North Dakota, and it hurts our state.
After 6 years of dodging local media and “running scared” from reporters, Heidi Heitkamp will now have to answer for six years of opposing the will of North Dakota voters at tonight’s debate.
With her record on full display, Heitkamp has several questions she needs to answer, such as:
- Why did she say she would oppose late-term abortion, but then vote to support it?
- Why did she vote for higher taxes for North Dakotans?
- Why did she fail to crack down on sanctuary cities and dismiss the issue as a scare tactic?
- Why has she voted for higher premiums and fewer health care choices?
- Why did she vote to put energy jobs at risk?
- Why did she promise to be bipartisan, but then vote with President Obama nearly 90% of the time?
- Why does she play politics with the ag community, and continue to prolong trade disputes by undermining the President?
- Why did she oppose Justice Kavanaugh when her constituents supported him and the facts did not support her argument?
- After wrongly outing abuse survivors in an attempt to score political points, can North Dakota trust her judgement?
“No matter what desperate spin she offers today, Heidi Heitkamp can’t escape her out-of-touch, liberal record,” said North Dakota Republican Party Communications Director Jake Wilkins. “What’s most important is for Heitkamp to answer why she’s consistently opposed what’s best for her constituents.”
“Nothing to see here, folks.”
With no press release, social media, or news story, Heidi Heitkamp has silently gone on the airwaves with a new ad, smearing Kevin Cramer on health care, immigration, and- inexplicably- women.
LET’S BE CLEAR—
- Kevin Cramer is strong on border security, but Heitkamp supports dangerous sanctuary cities.
- Cramer has supported a better health care system for North Dakota, but Heitkamp wants to leave Obamacare fully in tact.
- And after the events of this week, Heidi Heitkamp has no place trying to once again exploit women’s issues for political gain.